Grassroots sports clubs throughout Geelong and the Surf Coast are getting the equipment, skills and expertise they need to grow and be more competitive.
Labor Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney today announced 10 grassroots sporting clubs would share in more than $750,000 from the latest round of the Andrews Labor Government’s Sporting Club Grants Program.
The Sporting Club Grants Program is helping more people of all ages and abilities to get involved in grassroots sports and get active.
There are grants for new modern uniforms and equipment, along with grants providing training programs for coaches, officials and volunteers.
- Surf Coast Football Club Inc – $2000 for coaching
- Torquay Surf Life Saving Club Inc – $2000 for uniform and first aid kits
- Lorne Surf Life Saving Club Inc – $1000 for uniforms
- Grovedale Cricket Club Inc – $1000 for uniforms
- Geelong Seniors Cricket Club Inc – $680 for uniforms
- Greater Geelong Galaxy Football Inc – $1000 for equipment
- St Catherine’s Old Girls Waterpolo Club – $900 for uniforms
- Anglesea Bowling Club Inc – $1000 for equipment
- Anglesea Golf Club Inc – $1000 for uniforms
- Working Equitation Geelong – $1000 for equipment
The Sporting Club Grants Program is part of the Labor Government’s work to make sport more accessible and inclusive, support clubs and volunteers and boost participation at the grassroots level.
This comes on top of the Labor Government’s $120 million Community Sports Infrastructure Fund which is upgrading tired grounds and ageing pavilions, and building female-friendly change rooms across the state.
For more information on the Sporting Club Grants Program visit www.sport.vic.gov.au
Quotes attributable to Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney MP
“Grassroots sports clubs are the heart and soul of many towns throughout Western Victoria. They bring people together and create healthier, happier and more united communities.”
“We know the cost of uniforms or equipment can often stop kids from playing the sport they love – this funding exists to break down this barrier.”
“From new team uniforms to coaching programs, we’re giving grassroots sports clubs in Western Victoria the support they need to grow their ranks and help more people than ever play the sports they love.”