Grassroots sports clubs in Victoria’s south west are getting the equipment, skills and expertise they need to grow and be more competitive.
Labor Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney today announced 16 grassroots sporting clubs in south west Victoria would share in more than $750,000 from the latest round of the Andrews Labor Government’s Sporting Club Grants Program.
The Sporting Club Grants Program is helping more people of all ages and abilities to get involved in grassroots sports and get active.
There are grants for new modern uniforms and equipment, along with grants providing training programs for coaches, officials and volunteers.
In south west Victoria, grant recipients include:
- Warrnambool Wolves Football Club Inc – $1875 for skills development
- Warrnambool Football Netball Club Inc – $1200 for coaching
- South Rovers Football Netball Club Inc – $1360 for first aid training
- Portland Football Netball Cricket Club – $1000 for uniforms
- Portland Gymnastics Club (Portland YMCA) – $999 for equipment
- Panmure Football Netball Club – $1000 for uniforms
- Caramut Netball Club – $1000 for equipment
- Koroit and District Basketball Association Inc – $1000 for uniforms
- Broadwater Tennis Club Inc – $1000 for equipment
- All Abilities Equestrian Inc – $450 for equipment
- East Warrnambool Football Netball Club – $1000 for uniforms
- Nestles Rowing Club – $1000 for equipment
- South West Academy of Sport – $1000 for uniforms
- Warrnambool Lawn Tennis Bowls Club – $600 for equipment
- Warrnambool Masters Swim Club – $1000 for uniforms
- Kirrae Health Services Inc – $1000 for uniforms
The Sporting Club Grants Program is part of the Labor Government’s work to make sport more accessible and inclusive, support clubs and volunteers and boost participation at the grassroots level.
This comes on top of the Labor Government’s $120 million Community Sports Infrastructure Fund which is upgrading tired grounds and ageing pavilions, and building female-friendly change rooms across the state.
For more information on the Sporting Club Grants Program visit www.sport.vic.gov.au
Quotes attributable to Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney MP
“Grassroots sports clubs are the heart and soul of many towns throughout Western Victoria. They bring people together and create healthier, happier and more united communities.”
“We know the cost of uniforms or equipment can often stop kids from playing the sport they love – this funding exists to break down this barrier.”
“From new team uniforms to coaching programs, we’re giving grassroots sports clubs in Western Victoria the support they need to grow their ranks and help more people than ever play the sports they love.”