Grassroots sports clubs in Victoria’s south west are getting the equipment, skills and expertise they need to grow and win silverware.
Labor Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney today announced 13 clubs in South West Victoria would share in over $500,000 from the first round of the Andrews Labor Government’s Sporting Club Grants Program 2017-18.
“Grassroots sports clubs are the heart and soul of many towns throughout Western Victoria. They bring people together and create healthier, happier and more united communities, and they’re the launching pad of our next generation of champions”, Ms Tierney said.
The Sporting Club Grants Program is helping more people of all ages and abilities to participate in grassroots sports and realise their sporting dreams.
There are grants for new modern uniforms and equipment, along with grants providing training programs for coaches, officials and volunteers.
Successful clubs winning grants include:
- Western Districts Australian Football Commission Ltd – $2000 to provide First Aid Skills to Coaches
- Loch Ard Calisthenics College – $910 for Equipment
- Port Fairy Cricket Club – $1000 for Uniforms
- East Warrnambool YCW Cricket Club – $1000 for Uniforms
- Hawks Junior Football Netball Club – $1000 for Uniforms
- Warrnambool Maori Multiculture Club Inc – $1000 for Uniforms
- Gorae Portland Cricket Club – $1000 for Uniforms
- Portland Auskick – $1000 for Uniforms
- Portland Colts Cricket Club – $1000 for Uniforms
- Portland Golf Club Inc – $1000 for Equipment
- Portland Netball Association Inc – $499 for Equipment
- Portland Touch Association – $351 for Uniforms
- Tyrendarra Football Club Inc – $845 for Uniforms
The Sporting Club Grants Program is part of the Labor Government’s work to make sport more accessible and inclusive, increase local participation, boost local economies, and support volunteers.
This grant round saw over 340 clubs successfully apply for funding across the state.
The Labor Government is delivering on the $120 million Community Sports Infrastructure Fund that is upgrading tired grounds and ageing pavilions, and building female-friendly change rooms.
For more information on the Sporting Club Grants Program visit www.sport.vic.gov.au
Quotes attributable to Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney MP
“We know the cost of uniforms or equipment can often stop kids from playing the sport they love – this funding exists to break down this barrier.”
“From new team uniforms to coaching programs, we’re giving grassroots sports clubs in Western Victoria the support they need to grow their ranks, be more competitive and help more people than ever play the sports they love.”
“We are proud of our clubs and the vital role they play in bringing together our community.”