The Andrews Labor Government is backing Victoria’s coastal community groups with over $350,000 of new funding through the Coastcare Community Grants.
Labor Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney today announced a total of $50,594 has been approved for the 7 successful groups in Western Victoria for the 2023 grants program.
Funding will support projects across Victoria that build the capacity of marine and coastal volunteers, improve environmental and cultural values, support community adaptation, and improve ecosystem resilience to climate change.
Grant recipients include:
- Otway Ocean Care – $10,000 for their Waste, Pollution and Coastal project
- Threatened Species Conservancy – $10,000 for their Butterflies of the Great Ocean Road: Conservation, Education and Engagement project
- Otway Bird Observers – $5,124 for their Fostering Community Care for Coastal Birds in the Southern Otways project
- Apollo Bay Landcare Group – $10,000 for their Restoring our Community by Restoring our Coast project
- Southern Otway Landcare’s Edible Gardens Group – $3,209 for their Macroalgae and Edible Seaweeds of the Apollo Coast project
- Apollo Bay WORDfest’s – $7,277 for their Stories from the Sea project
- Southern Otway Landcare Network’s – $4,984 for their Otway Fungi Discovery Forays for Fun and Science project
The Labor Government is proud to support Coastcare Victoria and the local volunteer groups working to protect and enhance Victoria’s 2,000 kilometres of coastline and engage the broader public in coastal stewardship.
The Government is building Victoria’s resilience to climate change and is continually improving how we plan for and adapt to rising sea levels and more coastal erosion as climate change and more frequent extreme weather events change the way we live.
Support for community projects through grants programs like this is vital to help volunteer groups adapt and plan for changes to their local coastal environment.
Funding for the 2023 Coastcare Victoria Community Grants is provided by the$16.9 million VicCoasts program.
For more information on the Coastcare Victoria Community Grants Program, including a list of recipients, visit https://www.marineandcoasts.vic.gov.au/coastal-programs/coastcare-victoria/coastcare-victoria-community-grants
Quotes attributable to Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney
“Our wonderful volunteers give their time, efforts, talents and skills to contribute positively to their local communities, and our coastal environments are all the better because of them.”
“Western Victoria is lucky to have so many dedicated non-profit organisations and volunteers who are passionate about looking after our precious coastal and marine environment – I am so pleased to see these groups receive funding under this grants program.”
“I congratulate the successful groups on their initiative and commitment to our environment and encourage others in the electorate to access the range of grants programs offered by the Government in the future.”