Grassroots sports clubs in the Moyne Shire Council will be dressed for success after the Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney, announced the successful applicants of the Sporting Uniform Grants Program today.
Ms Tierney said eleven clubs would receive up to $1,000 to purchase essential sports uniforms and footwear.
“Sport in the Moyne Shire is as strong as ever, but many of our local clubs lack the resources and funding to properly equip their teams,” Ms Tierney said.
“New uniforms will play an important part in reinforcing the clubs’ identities and build morale and character among team mates.”
Ms Tierney said the funding was part of the Brumby Government’s $1.5 million Our Club, Our Future Sporting Uniforms Grants Program.
“Pulling on the team colours is one of the greatest feelings when playing for your local club.
“We want to give our local clubs the opportunity to feel that sense of pride and belonging.”
The Minister for Sport and Recreation, James Merlino, said the Our Club, Our Future Sporting Uniforms Grants Program was possible due to budget savings from the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games.
“Grassroots sport in Victoria continues to thrive thanks to the legacy of the Commonwealth Games,” Mr Merlino said.
“As well as providing world class facilities across Victoria, delivering the Games under budget has allowed us to provide almost $26 million in valuable support for local clubs and associations.
“Our Club, Our Future complements our Go for your life campaign and encourages participation in local sport while providing real benefits to disadvantaged clubs.”
The eleven clubs to receive funding are:
• The Warrnambool Field and Game Inc – $1000
• The Port Fairy Football Netball Club – $1000
• The Port Fairy Surf Lifesaving Club – $1000
• The Nirranda Cricket Club Inc – $1000
• The Purnim Cricket Club – $1000
• The Grassmere Cricket Association Inc – $900
• The Hawkesdale Macarthur Football Netball Club Inc – $950
• The AllansForest Netball Club Inc – $260
• The Kirrae Health Services Inc – $1000
• The Panmure Cricket Club – $1000
• The Port Fairy Soccer Club Inc – $1000