I take this opportunity to speak on the passing of Paul Turner, an active and
energetic community member in Geelong, an Australian Labor Party member and a
wonderful friend to the many who knew him.
Paul was a regular contributor to the Geelong Advertiser
‘letters to the editor’ column, demonstrating his vigour and energy to put
forward what he believed was right for his community.
It was fitting to see a contribution made by a reader and a friend of Paul’s who wrote a letter to the newspaper’s editor in his memory. I would like to share a few lines with the house:
- Paul cared deeply and passionately about those things in life that really
matter, family, community, environment, heritage, animal welfare and social
- He made us laugh and think, and challenged us to examine our collective
conscience on a variety of important issues.
- His letters were insightful, passionate and always entertaining, his rapier
wit legendary and so very appreciated by his legion of fans in the Geelong
- We cheered as he championed the causes of the underdog and gave his support
to others who did the same.
- Paul’s community-minded spirit and compassionate heart will be treasured in
our memories forever.
- We will miss him very much. He has left a very big space on the page for
someone else to fill!
I, too, would like to extend my condolences to Paul’s family.
He will be sadly missed, and the Geelong community is the poorer without him.
Vale, Paul Turner.