Crime has risen again in the Polwarth region under Denis Napthine with another 7.2 per cent increase from the previous year, according to the latest Victoria Police statistics.
The statistics also show that family violence continues to rise with a 24.6 per cent increase in the Colac and Surfcoast region.
Denis Napthine and the Liberals are making it harder for local police to do their job and they aren’t doing enough to reduce the rate of family violence.
Cuts to Victoria Police mean more officers are taken off the streets and put behind desks.
Only Victorian Labor will establish Australia’s first Royal Commission into family violence to find the answers we need to reduce this awful crime.
Quotes attributable to Gayle Tierney:
“Under Denis Napthine and the Liberals, more people are turning to a life of crime, family violence is out of control and police aren’t getting the resources they need.”
“Denis Napthine’s cuts can’t keep our community safe.”
“Family violence is the real law and order issue in this State and more of the same Napthine Government policies will mean more of the same tragedies.”
• The most recent Victoria Police Crime Statistics show crime in Polwarth increased by 7.2 per cent, with some alarming statistics including:
o 39.3 per cent increase in drug offences
o 24.6 per cent increase in family violence
o 21.4 per cent increase in motor vehicle thefts
• Crime rates have increased every year since the Napthine Government was elected.
• There are fewer frontline police officers assigned to local stations today than there were in November 2010. Napthine Government documents show of the 56 ‘police service areas’ across Victoria, only six have more police now than in November 2010.
• Denis Napthine slashed Victoria Police funding by $113 million, cut 500 staff and is now funding more prison beds than hospital beds.
• Family violence is the leading contributor to death, disability and injury in Australian women under the age of 45.